College of Pharmacy Affirmation of Equality and Social Justice
The SWOSU College of Pharmacy is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. As pharmacists, faculty, and student pharmacists, we work under the profession’s Oath of a Pharmacist that includes as its first statement, “I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of suffering my primary concerns.” Humanity includes all people, and we have the responsibility in this country to care for those who are disproportionately suffering. As health care professionals, we are trained to provide the best care to all and to “advocate for change that improves patient care.” Advocating against racism, all forms of discrimination, and injustice can improve patient care. This is an urgent priority and as a college and profession, we will advocate for:
- Transforming systems that have historically marginalized and oppressed minorities in this country.
- Eliminating inequities resulting from racism and discrimination in every facet of our profession, including patient care, pharmacist education, leadership opportunities, and organizational policies.
- Ensuring healthcare equity to eliminate disproportionate health outcomes.
- Educating the profession on social injustices and challenges impacting health care.
- Developing strategies to promote change through communications and partnerships.
The SWOSU College of Pharmacy is committed to leading, joining, and engaging in ongoing honest and open dialogue and action with current and aspiring students, faculty members, and leaders in the profession to address structural racism and other inequities in education and patient care. Through self and team accountability, let us embrace our diversity, honor our humanity, and promote social justice to bring forth peace and healing in our communities for the benefit of current and future generations.