Content Loading
Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

The Veterans Affairs Office is here to assist you if you are eligible to receive education benefits through the Veterans Administration. We must first submit an application for these benefits to the VA Office in Muskogee, Okla. If you have already received benefits through another university, there is a transfer form which we must complete to expedite this transition. When you have been approved for the benefits, we must submit paperwork each semester so that your checks will keep coming.

Our office must verify each class that you are taking, making sure that it fits with the degree plan that you are pursuing. The VA will not pay for classes that do not fit into that category. When you drop classes and your status falls below full-time, we must report this information to the VA in a timely manner. We are here to help you with all this paperwork, as well as answer questions and help you work through problems related to the VA.

GI Bill®

Attention: Chapter 30 & Chapter 1606 Recipients Only (GI Bill)

GI Bill website

You are now able to use two programs designed to speed the processing of your Monthly Verification of Enrollment, VA Form 22-8979.

The two new systems are:

  • Telephone system using Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
  • Internet program called WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)

How do these two systems benefit you?

  • 24-hour a day access without speaking to a case manager.
  • No lost form or lost mail to worry about.
  • Your education benefit check is issued faster.
  • You can certify beginning the last day of the month.

How do these systems work?

  • IVR: To use the Telephone Interactive Voice Response system, just dial 1.877.823.2378 and follow the instructions provided. Available in all states.
  • WAVE: To use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system, just point your Internet browser to our website and follow the link to the WAVE program. Instructions are provided on-line. Available worldwide.

Important: Once the system tells you that you're certified, do not return the Student Verification of Enrollment.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at .”


How can I find out if I am eligible to receive VA education benefits?
Call the VA toll free 888.442.4551 or 800.827.1000.

Could I be eligible for education benefits if I have a parent or spouse who is or was in the military?
Yes, possibly. Locate the veteran's file number and call the toll free number

How do I go about applying for VA education benefits?
Apply online at Be sure all your transcripts have been turned in to the Academic Records Office.

What paperwork do I need to bring with me when applying?
A copy of your DD214 if you are a GI Bill recipient. A copy of your NOBE if you are in the National Guard. Your kicker contract would be helpful as well.

How long does it take before I receive the first check?
Six to eight weeks

How do I request direct deposit for my checks?
See the following link regarding how to change your VA direct deposit information' and follow the instructions provided.

Do I need to fill out paperwork every semester?
Yes, you must complete the SWOSU VA Approval Form each time you re-enroll

Do I have to be enrolled before the enrollment certification can be sent to the VA Office?

How many hours must I take to receive full-time VA benefits?
Undergrad: 12 hours for spring and fall semesters, 6 hours for summer. Graduate: 9 hours for spring and fall, 4 hours for summer.

Can I receive VA education benefits as a graduate student?
Yes, if you have remaining eligibility and your delimiting date has not yet been reached.

What can I do to get my military hours put on my college transcript?
Complete 12 hours at SWOSU and bring your military transcript(s) to our office.