Career Sites Information
Established in 1901, Southwestern Oklahoma State University is a multi-campus, public university located an hour from Oklahoma City. The university has been an attraction/something for western Oklahoma since before statehood. With approximately 4,500 students enrolled each semester, SWOSU offers an energetic and lively environment while maintaining a friendly and supportive campus life. Our diverse population has representatives from all 77 counties of Oklahoma, 39 US states, and 37 different countries.
SWOSU has 14 nationally accredited programs (the most among all Oklahoma regional universities) and offers 18 different degrees: 2 Associate, 12 Baccalaureate, 3 Graduate, and one Doctorate. Recently, out of 1,600 universities across the US based on affordability, flexibility, and other quantitative factors, MSN ranked SWOSU #18 in the Nation.
At SWOSU, we believe in promoting a healthy work-life balance. As an equal opportunity employer, we promote a culture of celebrating diversity in all forms, and as Oklahomans, we pride ourselves in the value of the Oklahoma Standard.
Great Benefits & Other Perks
Group Paid Benefits
- Health Insurance including the Zero Card with eligible plans
- Life Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation
- Oklahoma Teacher’s Retirement
(see Retirement Benefits)
Optional Employee Paid Benefits
- Dental Insurance
- Section 125 plan (flexible spending-medical/health savings account/dependent daycare reimbursement)
- Short Term Disability
- Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, and Accident Policies
- Voluntary Life (employee, spouse, and eligible children)
- Wellness membership at SWOSU Wellness Center and University swimming pool for spouse and qualifying dependents
Generous Holidays & Paid Leaves
- Paid observed holidays and additional paid time off throughout the year
- SWOSU follows many of the same holidays as Weatherford Public Schools
- Paid annual leave, sick, and personal time (if applicable)
- SWOSU offers a shared leave program to assist employees with extraordinary circumstances that would cause the employee to be on leave without pay
- Tuition waivers for qualified employees and their dependents
- Free employee membership at SWOSU Wellness Center and University swimming pool
- Free admission to the majority of college level athletic events and theatre/drama productions held on campus
- Free access to the services of the Al Harris Library
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and BetterHelp
- Discounted canoe, fishing equipment rental, and camping rental at SWOSU Crowder Lake
- Eligible for discounted cafeteria meal plans
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Why Weatherford, Oklahoma?
As one of the safest cities in Oklahoma, Weatherford has many unique qualities to offer. Weatherford has recently built a new fire station. The city has begun construction on a new police station that will house one of the largest 911 Centers in Western Oklahoma.
Low Cost of Living
Oklahoma has the second lowest cost of living index in the United States. To figure the estimated cost of living for Weatherford, OK, use this cost-of-living comparison tool.
Great K-12 School Options
Weatherford Public Schools (WPS) rank as the 13th best school district in the State of Oklahoma and 15th in the state for best school district for athletes. WPS has two brand new school buildings being built by a voter-approved, historical school bond. They are slated to be complete in the Fall 2022 school year. In 2021, WPS also installed a new turf field at the high school.
Western Oklahoma Christian School (WOCS) has a campus in Weatherford which houses Pre-K through 2nd grade with the option of Pre-K through 6th grade in Clinton, OK, which is a short 15-minute drive. With their recent purchase of land, WOCS hopes to have a new campus at Weatherford to house Pre-K through 6th grade by Fall 2024.
Things to Do
The Pioneer Cellular Event Center (PCEC), located on SWOSU’s campus, hosts all types of concerts, sporting events, conventions, and so much more. It has generated visitors, revenue, and tourism to the city of Weatherford. SWOSU Athletics has basketball, baseball, golf, football, rodeo, soccer, softball, and track & field sporting events throughout the year. (#goDawgs!) SWOSU also has Panorama events, theatrical performances, the Miss SWOSU competition, homecoming events including a parade, and a brand-new eSports arena. The Stafford Air & Space Museum, one of only three Smithsonian affiliates in Oklahoma, is considered one of the best air and space museums in the Central United States and is named in honor of our hometown hero, General Thomas Stafford, legendary test pilot and astronaut. The Heartland of America Museum located on the southwest edge of town has artifacts from the late 1800s through the 1950s and includes a Salute to Veterans memorial. The City of Weatherford has 14 different parks which encompasses playgrounds, a dog park, a skatepark, a swimming pool, a splash pad, and a basketball court donated by the Thunder Care Foundation. Weatherford also offers a small-town feel, old-fashioned Main Street consisting of shops, restaurants, and more. Weatherford routinely hosts community events, Route 66 Nights, in Towne Center.
Beyond the great things Weatherford offers, Oklahoma also offers great destinations worthy of day trips or long vacations. Oklahoma has the longest drivable stretch of Route 66 in the nation.
According to travelok.com, Oklahoma has 32 state parks, more than 200 lakes, and offers over 1 million surface acres perfect for boating, swimming, fishing, and all sorts of water recreation. It also boosts lots of events and festivals each year such as Yukon’s Czech Festival, the Dust Bowl Days Farm & Ranch Festival in Sayre, Wings Over Weatherford, International Finals Rodeo, and so many others.