Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award Nomination Form
All nominations must be submitted to the SWOSU Foundation Office by January 16, 2024. Institutional Advancement will provide regular updates to notify faculty members if they have been nominated.
Completion of the electronic form below constitutes Nomination.
Submission of nomination credentials and supporting materials must be completed no later than February 13 (postmarked) or turned into the Office of Institutional Advancement, Burton House, no later than February 13, 2024.
The relevant mailing address is:
Attn: Bernhardt Selection
100 Campus Drive
Weatherford, OK 73096
Please read the below information carefully before submitting a nomination. The nomination submission form is provided at the end of this page.
Criteria for Selection
Current faculty members who have exhibited exceptional achievement in teaching, scholarly activities, and community service and make a difference in the lives of SWOSU students are nominated to receive the Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award. Recipients may be accomplished in the following three distinct areas:
- Teaching – the recipient is recognized as an outstanding educator with endeavors that form a record of accomplishment impressive to the students of SWOSU, members of the community and state. This distinction is reflective of Southwestern’s core values – Excellence, Integrity, Leadership, Loyalty, Respect and Selfless Service. The recipient must have helped to instill these core values to make students better citizens and prepare them for a successful future.
- Scholarly Activities – the recipient’s deeds and actions reflect the importance of his or her educational training, pride and loyalty to SWOSU, as demonstrated through their continued education, interest in and support of the University and its programs. Research and publications can be used to support academic development.
- Service to the Community – the recipient exhibits integrity and demonstrates commitment to service through an interest in bettering the lives of others through volunteer efforts.
All full time faculty members who have completed at least one academic year of service may be nominated. This award is given for outstanding academic excellence and no compromises diminishing the significance of the award will be made.
Method of Nomination & Required Supporting Materials
Nominations may be made for a Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award by any of the following individuals or groups:
- Any member of the SWOSU administration, faculty or staff
- Any member of an affiliate or support organization of SWOSU
- Any SWOSU current student or former student
- Any friend of SWOSU
Nominations will be accepted using the following guidelines:
- The Bernhardt Academic Excellence committee will provide an Award Nomination Form upon request as well as make it available at swosu.edu.
- The nominator is required to submit the nomination form to the Foundation Office by January 16.
- The nominee is required to provide the following supporting documents:
- High Resolution headshot suitable for publication upon selection as Bernhardt Scholar
- Current biography suitable for publication upon selection as Bernhardt Scholar
- Curriculum vitae for the individual
- Three (3) letters of support from current or former students
- Three (3) letters of support from non-family members that address the criteria
- Newspaper, magazine and web articles
- Media publication by the nominee
- Award or certificates of achievement
- One nomination per individual will be considered.
- Nomination forms will be active for three years providing the nominee participates each of the three years.
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration.
- The name of the nominator will not be disclosed.
All nominations must be submitted to the SWOSU Foundation Office by January 16. Institutional Advancement will provide regular updates to notify faculty members if they have been nominated.
Nomination credentials should be submitted to the SWOSU Foundation Office by February 13.
Method of Award Recipient Selection:
The Bernhardt Academic Excellence Selection Committee will use the following guidelines for the Award Recipient Selection:
- The committee is composed of four faculty members -- one from each college and the most recent Bernhardt Award recipient (who replaces the faculty member from the same college), one alumni representative, and two student representatives, each selected annually. Faculty representatives (other than the most recent winner) are selected by the Faculty Senate, one student representative is selected from seniors in the President’s Leadership Class, one student representative is selected by SGA, and the alumni representative is selected by the Director of Institutional Advancement.Ex officio members include the Provost and the Director of Institutional Advancement.
- The Foundation Office will collect submitted nominations, which will be reviewed and validated.
- The Foundation Office will submit the nominations to the committee in advance of the Selection Committee meeting.
- One recipient will be selected annually by secret ballot. A Selection Committee member must recuse themselves if an individual they have nominated is presented to the Committee for approval.
Announcement and Recognition
The Bernhardt Academic Excellence Selection Committee will announce the annual recipient at the Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award Event and honor the recipient with recognition, a cash award and the Bernhardt medallion. The SWOSU website will list all past winners and short biography of each.
Nomination Deadline: January 16, 2024
Nomination Credentials & Supporting Materials Deadline: February 13
Selection will be made no later than March 7
2023-2024 Bernhardt Committee Timeline
- Committee will review applications individually between Feb. 13 and Feb. 29. Applications will be made available so that they will be accessible from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and evenings/weekends if requested.
- Committee will meet as a whole at 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 29.
- Committee will discuss applicants and narrow applicants to 3-4 finalists.
- Committee will be tasked with researching finalists, which will include gathering of public materials associated with finalists. No public voting or solicitation of information will be implemented. Instead, the research will consist of extra review of application materials and public information.
- Committee will meet as a whole at 3 p.m. on Thursday, March 7.
- Committee will discuss applicants and take final vote on Bernhardt award recipient.
- Selection will be confidential until the reception.
- Reception on Thursday, March 14, 5 p.m.-7 p.m.
A Recognition Award Event will be held annually for all faculty and to present the Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award.