Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award Nomination Form
Nominations are due in the Office of Institutional Advancement, Burton House, or post marked no later than January 6, 2023.
Completion of the electronic form below constitutes Nomination.
Submission of nomination credentials and supporting materials must be completed no later than February 15 (postmarked) or turned into the Office of Institutional Advancement, Burton House, no later than February 15, 2023.
The relevant mailing address is:
Attn: Bernhardt Selection
100 Campus Drive
Weatherford, OK 73096
Please read the below information carefully before submitting a nomination. The nomination submission form is provided at the end of this page.
Criteria for Selection
Current faculty members who have exhibited exceptional achievement in teaching, scholarly activities, and community service and make a difference in the lives of SWOSU students are nominated to receive the Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award. Recipients may be accomplished in the following three distinct areas:
- Teaching – the recipient is recognized as an outstanding educator with endeavors that form a record of accomplishment impressive to the students of SWOSU, members of the community and state. This distinction is reflective of SWOSU’s core values – Excellence, Integrity, Leadership, Loyalty, Respect and Selfless Service. The recipient must have helped to instill these core values to make students better citizens and prepare them for a successful future.
- Scholarly Activities – the recipient’s deeds and actions reflect the importance of his or her educational training, pride and loyalty to SWOSU, as demonstrated through their continued education, interest in and support of SWOSU and its programs. Research and publications can be used to support academic development.
- Service to the Community - the recipient exhibits integrity and demonstrates commitment to service through an interest in bettering the lives of others through volunteer efforts.
All full time faculty members who have completed at least one academic year of service may be nominated. This award is given for outstanding academic excellence and no compromises diminishing the significance of the award will be made.
Method of Nomination & Required Supporting Materials
Nominations may be made for a Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award by any of the following individuals or groups:
- Any member of the SWOSU administration, faculty or staff
- Any member of an affiliate or support organization of SWOSU
- Any SWOSU current student or former student
- Any friend of SWOSU
Nominations will be accepted using the following guidelines:
- Each nominee is required to provide the following supporting materials:
- Current biography or curriculum vitae for the individual
- Three (3) letters of support from current or former students
- Three (3) letters of support from non-family members that address the criteria
- Newspaper, magazine and web articles
- Media publication by the nominee
- Award or certificates of achievement
- One nomination per individual will be considered.
- Nomination forms will be active for three years providing the nominee participates each of the three years.
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration.
- The name of the nominator will not be disclosed.
Method of Award Recipient Selection:
The Bernhardt Academic Excellence Selection Committee will use the following guidelines for the Award Recipient Selection:
- The Bernhardt Academic Excellence Selection Committee will consist of four (4) faculty members nominated by the Faculty Senate-one from each college, one (1) student nominated by the Student Senate, one (1) senior President’s Leadership Class student, and the President-Elect of the SWOSU Alumni Association.
- The Office of Institutional Advancement will collect submitted nominations which will be reviewed and validated.
- The Office of Institutional Advancement will submit the nominations to the committee in advance of the Selection Committee meeting.
- One recipient will be selected annually by secret ballot. A Selection Committee member must recuse themselves if an individual they have nominated is presented to the Committee for approval.
Announcement and Recognition
The Bernhardt Academic Excellence Selection Committee will announce the annual recipient at the Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award Event and honor the recipient with recognition, a cash award and the Bernhardt Medallion. The SWOSU website will list all past winners and a short biography of each.
Nomination Deadline: January 06, 2023
Nomination Credentials & Supporting Materials Deadline: February 15
A Recognition Award Event will be held annually for all faculty and to present the Bernhardt Academic Excellence Award.