World Health Day
"Health is not valued till sickness comes" – Thomas Fuller
Annually, April 7 is observed as World Health Day. This year, the chosen theme is, "Our Planet, Our Health" meaning that we will better protect our future health by protecting our planet. World Health Day is spearheaded by the World Health Organization, also known as WHO.
Here are some ways you can protect our planet's future:
- Reducing waste: using reusable bags for groceries, reusable cups instead of plastic bottles, etc.
- Not littering and picking up trash off the ground if/when noticed
- Walking when able: not driving short distances across campus
- Turning off lights when not currently in use
- Buying fresh groceries when able instead of highly processed options
Here are ways government agencies and corporations can promote World Health Day:
- Taxing highly processed foods & beverages
- Implement policies to reduce food waste
- Create smoke-free facilities/zones – reduce are pollution
- Prioritize long-term human well-being
- Motion sensors on lights/sinks/commodes
The purpose of observing World Health Day is to create awareness among people about the importance of good health. Physical health and mental and emotional well-being are equally important to a person. By protecting the air quality, water pollution, and litter on the ground, we will better protect our health and future generations' health.
World Health Day - April 7. National Today. (2021, June 18). Retrieved from https://nationaltoday.com/world-health-day/
World Health Organization. (n.d.). Recommended actions to protect "Our planet, our health" . World Health Organization. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-health-day/2022/recommended-actions-to-protect-our-planet-our-health
World Health Day 2022: History, significance, celebration, quotes, themes. Edudwar. (2022, March 24). Retrieved from https://www.edudwar.com/world-health-day/