Content Loading
Skip to main content

Business Office and Financial Aid

Financial Responsibility

Students are responsible for payment for the cost of attendance. Students receiving scholarships, loans, or grants are subject to all late fees if they fail to insure that the necessary paperwork to receive such financial aid is completed on time. Payment plans are available. Students who have payment problems must report to the Bursar’s Office to prevent cancellation of their enrollment. Student accounts that remain unpaid at the end of the semester are subject to assignment for collection. Students are responsible for any additional charges made by the collection company for this service.

Student Financial Services

Student Financial Services is located in Stafford 217. This office provides students information on various types of financial assistance. This information can be found in the office and on the Student Financial Services website. A student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to apply for need-based financial aid. Household size, the number of children in college,e and family income are important variables in determining eligibility for need-based financial aid. A FAFSA must be completed in order to apply for state and federal grants.


Part-time employment opportunities exist for students both on and off campus. Students apply for employment through the Bulldog Job Board. Federally funded work-study jobs are available in the majority of departments on campus. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to establish eligibility for the work-study program. Students qualifying for work-study will be given an award letter from the Student Financial Services Office. Most work-study positions are paid at the current minimum wage rate. The number of hours a student employee may work varies on their specific eligibility. Most students work 10-15 hours per week, not to exceed 20 hours per week.


State and federal grants are available at SWOSU for those who qualify. To be considered for these need-based programs, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a SWOSU Student Data Form. Both are available from the Office of Student Financial Services or online. Early application is critical to securing some of these types of aid. Many grants require at least half-time enrollment per term.


Federal student loans and institutional short-term emergency loans are both available at SWOSU. Federal loans include the Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan or the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan). The FAFSA must be completed to determine eligibility for any federal student loan. To receive a loan you must be enrolled at least half-time per term. Apply early, since student loans take time to process. The Bursar reviews all requests for emergency short-term loans.

Honors and Scholarships

Institutional scholarships (tuition scholarships) are based upon academic achievement and financial need. Students may refer to the Scholarship Handbook for more details.

Financial Assistance for Graduate Students

Graduate students who need financial assistance should contact the Office of Student Financial Services to determine eligibility. Most financial assistance at the graduate level is limited to individuals who are enrolled in at least 5 hours per term. Graduate assistantships are available through academic departments that offer graduate programs. Graduate students are eligible to apply for Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans. Additional funding may be available through school departments and the SWOSU Foundation. Graduate students may also apply for a tuition scholarship through the Graduate Office, located in the Hibler Education Center.