Financial Aid Process
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), according to the instructions.
If you have any problems or questions, call us at 580.774.3786. We're happy to help.
Completing the FAFSA on the Internet is the best choice. Simply go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and follow the instructions.
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) with results of the government's calculations
after sending your data in to the government. Please read the Student Aid Report to
be sure that no corrections are necessary. If corrections are needed, contact our
- If the Student Aid Report states that you have been "selected for a process called
verification" or if notified by our office, your family is required to submit certain
documents to SWOSU. A notice of what documents are needed will be emailed to you after
we receive your data from the federal processor.
- Student Financial Services will send you an email indicating any other documentation
needed to complete the student's file.
- When we have received all documents needed and your file is complete, we will review
the data given for accuracy. Typically quickly after the review an email will be sent
stating that you have been awarded. Completing applications incorrectly and/or omitting
information on the application cause processing delays.
- You must be admitted to SWOSU in a degree-seeking program before aid eligibility may
- Grant and scholarship money is awarded first if you qualify. Then Federal Work Study
and/or loans may be awarded depending on your financial aid preference and aid eligibility.
- Aid is typically made available a few days before classes begin for the Fall and Spring
semesters. Federal regulations prohibit disbursing aid earlier.
- Use the aid you receive to cover any educationally related expenses. Some aid specifies
what it can be used for, but most other assistance may be used for any educational
expense after direct charges due to SWOSU are paid. Educational costs include tuition,
fees, room, board, books, transportation (including automotive upkeep but not purchase)
and other personal expenses.