Master of Music Admission Requirements & Procedures
All students wishing to enroll in graduate studies in music at Southwestern Oklahoma State University must first apply for admission to the College of Professional and Graduate Studies (CPGS). The CPGS determines whether or not the student meets the minimum standards for admission to our university graduate degree programs. Students’ applications must include the following:
- A bachelor’s of music, music education, music performance or the equivalency from a NASM-accredited institution is required.
- Application for Admission to the University
- Application for Admission the College of Professional and Graduate Studies
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- An official transcript of all undergraduate work which also states the undergraduate degree has been granted. (This can be problematic for students who are making application to our graduate programs and who are also in the last semester of completing their undergraduate degree. Although is it possible for us in the Music Department to review a student’s application materials, without the Official Transcript stating the student’s degree has been granted, the CPGS will not act to admit. However, we can offer the student our preliminary assessment and intent to admit pending admission by the CPGS).
- A completed and signed Nine Hour Policy Statement
The CPGS will not act to admit a student until all of these have been submitted to them. Unless we check with the CPGS office about a student whom we think is applying, the CPGS Office will not notify us of any application materials that may be missing.
Once all of these items are received, the CPGS Office will make a decision to admit or not. If the student is admitted, the CPGS Office will compile the information and forward it to the Music Department for consideration and a decision to deny or accept.
Once the student’s application information has been received by the Music Department, a Departmental Entrance Committee of faculty members from the student’s proposed area of study is formed to review the information and make a final decision to accept or deny. The committee notifies the Department Chair or the Coordinator of Graduate Music Studies of their decision. The admissions paperwork is then signed by the Chair of the Department of the Coordinator of Graduate Music Studies and is returned to the CPGS for their official processing.
A student for whom English is a second language wishing to be considered for admission must provide results of TOEFL with a minimum score of 550 or IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5.
International students must complete a Certification of Financial Resources Form showing sufficient resources to provide for the student’s entire program of study and living expenses while at Southwestern Oklahoma State University. A minimum deposit of $1,500 is required. The student must also provide evidence of health insurance.
Incomplete application files will not be kept longer than two years.
For additional degree , contact the Graduate Studies office at firstname.lastname@example.org or the specific department.