Master of Music Graduate Program Checklist
Sequential Steps to Be Followed in a Master’s Degree Program
A Self-Help Guide
1. Admission to Graduate Degree Program
- File Application for Admission or readmission to the University with the Registrar
(not required of students enrolled at SWOSU during the previous year).
- File health history and submit proof of required immunizations to Student Health Services.
- File Application for Admission to Graduate Studies with the Graduate Office.
- Provide official transcript(s) of all previous college work not already on file with
the Registrar at SWOSU.
- Provide other credentials (GRE or GMAT scores, letters of recommendation, etc.) as
required by the degree program for which you are applying.
- Schedule an audition and interview with the Music Department.
2. Following Admission to a Degree Program
- Meet with the Music Dept. Graduate Program Advisor during your first semester of admission
and complete a Plan of Study.
- Enroll or pre-enroll on enrollment dates listed in the class schedules.
3. Admission to Degree Candidacy
- With the assistance of your advisor, complete an Application to Candidacy form after
the completion of 24-30 semester hours of graduate work. Obtain appropriate signatures
and submit Candidacy form to the Graduate Office. The completed/signed form must reach
the Graduate Office by the first Monday after the close of the drop/add date of the
semester in which you intend to graduate (13th day of the Fall or Spring semester, or 10th day of the Summer semester).
- File an Application for Graduation with the Registrar. This application should be
submitted to the Registrar’s Office during the first two weeks of the semester in
which the student expects to graduate.
- Pick up a cap and gown at the University Bookstore.
4. Summary Checklist
- Required number of semester hours for the degree.
- All required courses completed.
- An overall grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) on graduate work.
- The Master of Music degree program with no Applied Music grades below “B” that count toward degree requirements.
- No grades below “C” applied toward degree requirements.
- Not more than six (6) semester hours of “C” applied toward the degree.
- Not more than six (6) semester hours of individual study/directed reading applied
toward the degree.
- Not more than nine (9) hours of web/online study applied toward the degree.
- No correspondence study credit applied toward the degree.
- Graduate credits completed beyond six (6) years not applicable for semester hours
required but may meet course requirements in a degree program.
- Not more than nine (9) approved semester hours of transfer credit. This includes courses
from accredited institutions, as well as courses taken at SWOSU, prior to admission
into a degree program. Only courses with a grade of “A” or “B” may be transferred.