Strategic Plan Background
SWOSU has a tradition of developing strategic plans, which includes: strategic plans for 1998 – 2003, 2005 – 2010 and 2012 – 2017. The documents are archived on the website at this link. The planning continues since SWOSU completed another successful regional continuing accreditation commitment from the North Central Association — the Higher Learning Commission in 2010 – 2011 for a full 10 years. An administrative decision was made to bid out strategic planning to facilitate this open and deliberative process. We completed the strategic planning review process and the 2012 – 2017 university strategic plan can be located at http://dc.swosu.edu/spbooklet/1/.
The SWOSU Strategic Planning Executive Committee, which builds from past strategic plans, the recent Self-Study and Team Report by HLC, diverse focus group discussions, and relevant documents will create a Strategic Plan to guide the future of the University. Particular emphasis will be placed on identifying a stronger strategic position for SWOSU and a selected number of high impact initiatives to strengthen academic distinction, to enhance the student experience, and to advance service to a diverse region and local community.
The planning process will be:
- Driven by statements of Values, Vision and the SWOSU Mission
- Mindful of campus culture, history, traditions and prior planning
- Open and collaborative
Assumptions & Approach
- The Strategic Planning Executive Committee will guide and drive the process with support from subcommittees that will draw in a variety of stakeholders.
- Stakeholders are defined as representatives from the student body, staff, faculty and community leaders.
- There will be regular contact with the President and University leadership throughout the process.
- On-site representatives provide administrative support. Chair of the Strategic Planning Executive Committee is Associate Provost Dr. Joel Kendall
- The SWOSU Strategic Plan will seek to align with the mission and plans for the Oklahoma State Regents Higher Education and the Regional University System of Oklahoma.
- The role of the Strategic Planning Executive Committee is to facilitate a planning process that is largely completed by SWOSU rather than to create the plan.
- The process will utilize a conversational approach where people address a set of fundamental questions that lead to the essential elements of a strategic plan, rather than placing heavy emphasis on planning language and jargon.
- In keeping with this collaborative approach, SWOSU will provide the assistance needed for this planning project.
- SWOSU will maintain a web site on which information about the process can be posted,including surveys, presentations, agendas and workbooks.