General Education Requirements for Transfer Students
A student holding the associate of arts or associate of science degree* containing the following required courses may transfer into a senior institution and be assured that their degree can be completed in a sequential fashion:
- English Composition, 6 hrs.,
- U.S. History and Government, 6 hrs.,
- Science, 6 hrs., with one lab science,
- Humanities, 6 hrs., chosen from nonperformance courses,
- Mathematics, 3 hrs.,
- at least one course from social sciences, psychology, foreign language,
- or fine arts, 3 hrs.,
- additional liberal arts courses to make a minimum of 37 hours.
In most cases, the senior institution will accept the community college general education as completing general education requirement. In some cases, students may need to take additional general education courses in order to meet certification requirements defined by the state. Example: Students seeking the elementary education degree must complete Structural Concepts of Arithmetic and Structural Concepts of Mathematics in order to meet teacher certification requirements.
* A student holding the associate of applied science degree must meet all general education requirements as specified in the current SWOSU Undergraduate Catalog.