FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for online FAFSA submittals and is accessible through the FAFSA web site www.fafsa.gov. The retrieval tool allows FAFSA applicants and parent with the ability to transfer their income information from the IRS to the FAFSA.
FAFSA on the Web applicants and parents of dependent applicants who indicate they have filed or will file a federal tax return will be directed to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to report or update their income information on the FAFSA.
Benefits of the Tool
- Applicants can complete their FAFSA more easily and accurately.
- The tool will increase the accuracy in the awarding for student financial aid funds!
- Applicants selected for verification can use the tool to update their income information and avoid unnecessary processing delays!
Who can use the tool?
- The tool works for most all tax filers. But in some cases the retrieval tool will not work and the student and parent must still enter the information from their federal 1040.
- Tax filers need a valid SSN
- A filed tax return for the previous year
- An unchanged marital status as of December 31 of the prior year
Student and parents should not use this tool if:
- You will not file or filed an amended return for the previous year
- Your tax status is Married, filing Separately
- You filed taxes outside of the US
What if your file is selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education?
- If your FAFSA record is selected for a process called verification and you and your parents were eligible to file a federal tax return, you will be required to:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update you and your parents or spouse income information; (or)
- You and/or your parents or spouse may request a “Tax Transcript" from the IRS to submit to the Financial Aid Office to verify your income information.