Food and Beverage Expense Certification Policy
The use of University funds is limited to those that serve a public purpose. (Oklahoma Const. Article X, sections 14 and 15). The purpose of this policy is to clarify the application of public use as it pertains to food and beverage purchases and to provide guidelines for the documentation of public use.
- Authority appears to exist to use public funds for providing refreshments at board meetings and at the Office of the President
- Authority appears to allow the use of public funds for members of the board, staff personnel and visitors for meals when the public event is directly related to the promotional efforts of the University.
- Student activity funds may be used for meals and refreshments of students, student coaches, and student managers.
- Board policy prohibits the use of travel advance money for furnishing meals for University employees who are not students (employees must be reimbursed by travel claim).
External grants will follow the appropriate grant guidelines (Please contact post-award accounting for guidance, grants follow many different sets of guidelines).
All food and beverage expenses for public meetings must be approved in advance by the President or the appropriate Vice President.
All invoices and tickets for meals, receptions, banquets or coffee will have the following documentation attached before being processed for payment.
- Name of the payee
- FEI number or SSN
- Amount to be paid
- The account number to charge
- The date of the event
- The place of the event or function
- A description or purpose of the function or event
- The names of the people in attendance if 15 or fewer were in attendance
- The affiliations of the people in attendance
- Signature of the approving budget manager.